Question 9

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Zero Wasted
    Keymaster

Bea describes her idea for the future of Zero Waste. She writes,”Every household would go grocery shopping with cloth bags, jars, and totes; the supermarkets would sell only loose goods behind a counter, in bins, or with dispensers, including wine. Home pantries, refrigerators, and freezers would be filled with glass jars, the contents of which would be visible and rarely end up in the compost.” (P.261) Do you believe that Bea’s vision is possible? What is your vision for the future?

Vanna
    Participant

Too few people care or bother to take action/change when they have been exposed to the depths of pollution plaguing the planet. Everyone at my workplace knows about the plastic pollution problem and the toxic consequences to our own health and the environment (I get asked a lot of question about why I always bring my own utensils, water bottle etc. and why I (kindly) never accept anything offered to me that’s wrapped in plastic), yet I still see my coworkers using plastic cutlery and carrying there food in plastic bags every single day. I have actually had coworkers (everyone from the janitors to doctors) mock me and make mean spirited jokes about the fact that I don’t use single use plastics. So sadly, I don’t think Bea’s vision is possible.
    My vision for the future is that people will be more mindful of there choices and try to live more environmentally friendly.

Cathy Haukedahl
    Participant

I’m a bit of an idealist and like to think her vision is possible. But I think it will take a very long time and many incremental steps. Vanna, your experience demonstrates what a long road is ahead. It’s ridiculous for people to judge you based on not using single use plastics. Good for you for hanging in there.

However, I think it will take an approach that is less judgmental and preachy than Johnson’s. If I hadn’t had such a positive experience working with Zero Wasted and other resources before I read her book, I might have just thrown my hands up and said I can never do this. As Vanna says, maybe the initial vision needs to more awareness, more mindfulness, and step-by-step a more environmentally-friendly approach for more and more people. And with support, not derision! We need to support each other in our efforts, not judge. Support (and humor!) will attract people, and once people start taking steps, most people will feel good about them and want to do more. That’s been my experience and the experience of many others I’ve had the opportunity to share zero waste ideas with. Small successes can build into big success. That’s how most movements make real change. It helps to view it as a journey, not a race.

Zero Wasted
    Keymaster

Vanna- Wow, that’s shocking that your co-workers treat you like that! I have to assume they are deflecting their own insecurities about waste and the way they live their life onto you. Shame on them.
    My co-worker expressed some interest in my bamboo cutlery so last Christmas I gifted him with a set of his own to keep at his desk – and he uses them! Small changes like this give me hope that Bea’s vision is possible.
    I do think people will need to make some big changes in their lifestyle to be zero waste and to move towards Bea’s vision- she talks about a total shift in how the average person lives. And to move towards zero waste I believe that people need to be open to learning about the why and then the how. It’s important for people to know about the 5 R’s and what they mean, what is going on with the environment locally and globally, and how much they can create less waste, then move on to the actual steps they can take to live that way.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.