Question 6

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Zero Wasted
    Keymaster

According to Bea, the 5 R’s are: refusing (what we do not need), reducing (what we do need), reusing (what we consume), recycling (what we cannot refuse, reduce, or reuse), and rotting (composting) the rest. Do you think this list should encompass any other R’s? How else can we strive for Zero Waste?

Vanna
    Participant

I think a lot of us forget that most of the waste is produced before the actual product is delivered to the shelf. For example, the meat, egg and dairy industry (a touchy subject for many). Not including the suffering, brutality and fear that is perpetrated here, these industries are responsible for a lot of pollution. Individuals are now rising up against factory farms being located in there communities because these corporations are dumping waste water and contaminating the soil/drinking water (food and water watch is in a legal battle right now over this very issue). So, my point is we need to remember that achieving “zero waste” is not only measured by the amount of garbage we can physically fit in a mason jar, although it is a great start.

Cathy Haukedahl
    Participant

Vanna, I agree that thinking “upstream” is important. It would be great to think of an “R” word for it!

Zero Wasted
    Keymaster

Vanna, such a great point! The method in which and how a product ends up in our hands is so important needs to be taking into consideration. I really think that “cradle to cradle” or “cradle to grave” needs an R and should be part of this Zero Waste mantra. Thanks for making that point!

Emily
    Participant

Similarly to Vanna and Amber, I think another possible ‘R” could be something that represents ‘external’ aspects of waste that may seem out of our control. Like maybe Resist, Respond or React? Bea covers this a little in one of the last chapters, “Getting Involved”, but it seemed to me that it is mostly focused on people making personal decisions – which of course is super important!
    But it seems to me that its also important to take action on things that are (or at least seem) beyond our personal decisions. I’m sure there are a million examples of this, like the factory farms that Vanna mentioned, but here are a few others that come to mind:
    – Timber Industry: I was recently reading that tax breaks and incentives to grow and harvest more trees makes the cost of new paper less than the cost or recycled paper. Wouldn’t it be better if these tax breaks were provided to recyclers, so that the cost of recycled paper was lower than new paper?
    – Car Industry over public transportation: My mom told me an interesting story of how the rubber industry conspired to shut down the streetcars that once transported people in St Paul, MN. I have also heard that AAA lobbies for federal funding for roads at expense of public transportation infrastructure. Its a lot easier to ditch the car if you have viable public transportation/bike options.
    Of course, if I knew how to force the government to look out for public rather that corporate interest, I would be a lot less frustrated than I currently am :). The problems seem so overwhelming and out of my control. But attempting to address some of these societal issues through voting, researching companies we support, and advocating for change in our communities seems like good places to start.

Cathy Haukedahl
    Participant

After reading Emily’s ideas, I thought of Represent, Raise Up and Recommend. The first two in particular have kind of an advocacy connotation. Other words not starting with R might be Advocate, Champion, Campaign, Promote, Advance, Elevate. Maybe a word at the end with a different letter (not R) works!

Sarah
    Participant

I really like all of the ideas floating around on this topic! I wonder if another ‘R’ word to include would be ‘Respect’ – trying to encompass being mindful of the process in which the product/good is created. For example, are the labourers working in a respectful environment (fair wages, humane conditions), are the animals (for those who consume animal products), being treated with dignity and respect, and are industries being respectful to the environment and to the populations that live around them.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.