Question 5

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Zero Wasted
    Keymaster

Bea says, “With the implementations of zero waste alternatives, we have noticed undeniable life improvements: notable health benefits, along with considerable financial and time savings. We learned that zero waste does not deprive; on the contrary, through zero waste, I have found a sense of meaning and purpose. My life has been transformed-it’s based on experiences rather than stuff, based on embracing change rather than hiding in denial.” (p. 9) What is your reaction to Bea’s statement? Have you had any revelations such as this in your zero waste journey?

Vanna
    Participant

I totally agree with her statement, the biggest change for me was diet, I do love salt and vinegar potato chips and soda. But I finally gave it up (it took a very long time to give up the soda though 🙁 ).

Cathy Haukedahl
    Participant

I think her statement is a bit extreme, which is how I felt about her voice throughout the book. Purpose to me is much bigger than any one commitment, zero waste or otherwise. And I’ve always valued experiences over things, long before anyone talked about zero waste. (I’m 65 so have been around awhile!) I’m thankful to be much more aware of the waste I create and how to minimize it. It’s essential for our planet and future generations, both of which I care about deeply. I appreciate the ideas in Johnson’s book, and I’ve learned a lot from Zero Wasted and other resources. The journey has enhanced my understanding and commitment, but it has not transformed my purpose or life, and I don’t think that’s necessary to make a difference.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.