Question 1

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Zero Wasted
    Keymaster

In Zero Waste Home, Bea Johnson opens up about her life in France and how it shaped her lifestyle/environmental views as an adult. What role do you think ones childhood plays in shaping their views for adulthood?

Cathy Haukedahl
    Participant

I think you retain some ideas and practices that you agree with, discard some you don’t agree with, and retain some you wish you could get rid of but you can’t (too ingrained!). My husband’s and my parents grew up in the Great Depression, and the men all served in World War 2. As a result, they raised us with a strong sense of “no waste allowed” which we have worked to carry on. But post-WW2, there was a great deal of economic growth and development of new convenience items, which one used if affordable. It made life easier and supported the economy! Both of these influences affected me. The former has made working toward Zero Waste easier and something very meaningful to me, not only because of the environment (which is critical!), but because not wasting was a fundamental value in my family. The latter has made it more challenging because I bought in big time to increased convenience. But I’m committed to finding a way to do both! I must say, I don’t think Johnson is at all committed to convenience, which ignores the need of many hard-working people who have to have conveniences which are inexpensive to work multiple jobs, raise a family, and make ends meet. And I’m frankly skeptical of her claims of how little time it takes her to do what she does (go to many different stores to have no waste groceries, for example). But her book is thought-provoking, which I appreciate.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.